Pages

I Have a New Website

It has been a long time since I have visited this blog and it was fun to read about our first couple of years cruising. I found that it was easier to post on FaceBook and more difficult to post on both places. However, I have just started a new website about diving and snorkeling and the critters you can see.

Spiraserpula--What's That!!???

The boat’s unique name is the result of Bill’s desire to follow the time honored tradition of naming a boat after a wife, girlfriend, or daughter, with a “logical” twist (as in If A=B and B=C, Then A=C). The logic follows that If a worm is named after Gayle AND the boat is named after the worm, THEN the boat is named after Gayle. Indeed Gayle has a marine worm named after her, Spiraserpula plaiae in recognition of her discovery of the species-specific structures found in the worm’s tube. The logo shows the structures in the tube for Gayle’s worm. The tongue-twister name is often perceived as Sassparilla which we have learned to respond to. So far we have not met a boat named Sassparilla.

Wednesday, January 9, 2013

And This is Fun Because........????


Sunday we waited, anchored at Pumpkin Key, searching for any sign that one of the forecast models was right.  We were looking for winds to diminish later in the day and remain in a more southeasterly direction.  What we knew is if we could not call it today, there was a significant probability that it would be days before another decent crossing day would come.  Finally about 4:30 we turned our stern to Angelfish creek and headed out to sea as the sun set behind us.  Hurray!!  We are really going!!

Although the winds had diminished a bit the seas were choppy and sandwiches were in order for dinner.  Since this was going to be a half an overnighter I went to bed expecting to wake up around 12 or so to help with the anchoring.  Around 11:30 I was tired of trying to sleep while being flopped around and slammed like a rag doll being played with by a dog.  As we approached Bimini, the seas calmed and we entered Nixon Harbor ready to be done with this passage.  Unfortunately, the anchor went down 3 times before we found somewhat acceptable holding on the hard bottom.  I suspect that, in the calm, the chain was holding us in place well enough—and at that point, at 2am, we really didn’t care.  Why is this FUN?

Monday morning I awoke in time to see the sun rise over the clear blue water.  There is something about that color!  We hurried to get into town so that we could check in and leave for Morgan’s Bluff.  Winds were forecast to pick up sometime later and blow right on the nose for several days so we wanted to make the shelter of Morgan’s Bluff, preferring to be stuck there instead of Bimini.  I was tense about the check-in with customs and immigration.  The permit for the cat had not arrived in time and I was fearful of what delays and costs would result.  Turns out there was a small delay and Samantha had to pay another $10, then, much relieved and thankful, we were on our way.
Winds were still calm when we left Alice Town but it was right on the nose and we didn’t even bother putting up the sails.  We even broiled a port loin on the grill and had a decent dinner.  However, soon after I settled into bed, the rocking, rolling and slamming began.  With currents and winds against us, we first planned to arrive at Morgan’s bluff at 2am then 4am then whenever.  I somehow slept but didn’t rest and I was tired of it all by 1am so I got up to discover we were still 5 or 6 hours away.   I drank some caffeine and let Bill have the fun of trying to sleep.  There was no moon until about a quarter to four so it was pitch dark and none of the marker beacons along the way were working—even at the entrance to the harbor the markers were gone and we navigated the channel by GPS in the first light of sunrise.  Anchoring was straightforward but I had caffeine at 5 or so and was unable to sleep right away so I watched the sun come up and piddled around a bit and finally crashed out. 

There were 4 other boats in the harbor and one of them looked a bit familiar.  Soon after we woke up around noon we heard someone hailing us from his dingy.  It was Keith and his boat, Dolphin Leap!!  Last year this same time, Keith had sailed into this same harbor announcing over the radio that he had caught a large Mahi and needed help with eating it.  We had also seen him in Georgetown but he left before we did.  We invited him aboard and caught up on what had happened over the past summer and fall, then made plans to meet him on his boat for drinks. 

Now it was snorkel time.  The cool water woke me right up and my gills were feeling pretty good as I reacquainted with the critters and fish.  Just as I was about to get out I noticed an area where a channel had been cut out of the hardbottom.  Large rocks were strewn along side of this channel and…..what did I see but a couple of pair of antennae poking out from under one.  I quickly surfaced, got bearings and returned to the boat to get lobster catching equipment.  The two I caught gave me a run around but my luck won out and we shared fresh lobster and drank martinis on Dolphin Leap while watching the sun set. 

And THAT”s why we think this is FUN!


No comments:

Post a Comment